Wednesday 18 August 2010

Late Interview



Interview with Midlands Legend LATE from the Wolftown collective:


What’s your name and where you from?


They call me LATE I am from Wolverhampton AKA Wolftown

I know you have been involved with bare mixtapes such as the Wolftown ones but please state some of the releases have you had out to date?



Villains – Welcome To Wolftown,
Wolftown Committee – Legendary Status,
LATE – International Rhyme Spittin,
LATE – The Villainous One, (underground release)
LATE – An English Man In New York, (underground release)
LATE – 2 Thousand & LATE, (underground release)
LATE – Below Street Level,
LATE – UK Rapscallion,
LATE – From The Vaults. (Digital Release)
Plus countless mixtapes and compilations that myself and Tricksta have put together.

What’s your favourite part of being a rapper/MC?


The creative side of things, making a project come together from nothing.

What do you think you bring to the table as an MC?


I rap mostly about my own life and my surroundings. I don’t rap about what’s in fashion at that moment and just string a load of fancy words together from a rhyming dictionary. I just do me, so if you like music by a real person check me out.

If you was not involved in music what do you think you would be doing?


Probably something to do with art or the creative industry or an independent trader like a young Del Boy lol!

Let’s talk about your current project. When’s it out? Can you tell who is involved?


I’ve just released 2 projects “UK Rapscallion” which is a 12 track album available on CD and MP3 it features Genesis Elijah, Manny Moscow, Tuberculosis, Iron Bryadz, Supar Novar, Streetz, Reload, K9, Tuberculosis, Cyclonious, Blazin, Hicks, Sketchman, Serocee, Creamo and Jai Boo. I have also just released a MP3 digital album called “From The Vaults” which is a collection of underground unreleased tracks and collaborations that we’ve had sitting in the vaults for the last few years.

So what type of music do you listen to mostly?



I mostly listen to independent Hip Hop from the UK, West Coast, East Coast, Down South, Midwest I like all styles from Conscious Hip Hop to Hard Core Reality Rap, G-Funk; to old skool Miami Bass I like all styles. I just like independent music because it’s usually more from the heart and not just being made to sell units.

Where would you like to see yourself 5 years from now?


Hopefully still doing what I am doing only being more successful. Some people think you should stop rapping at a certain age but that depends on what audience you’re aiming your music at, look at artists like KRS One & Ice T they are still making banging music.

What have you been most proud of in your career so far?


Getting to work with artists I grew up listening to like Willie D from the Geto Boys and the Houston legend K-Rino to name a few. And to be still putting out music 11 years on when a lot of people didn’t take us that serious and we’re still here!

If you could pick one producer to work with in the world who would it be and why?


Mike Dean the producer from Rap A Lot records he produced most of their material artists like Scarface and Geto Boys I just like his style of production.

What’s your opinion on the current state of the charts?


I don’t listen to any of that or get involved in it.

How do you view Hip-Hop right about now?


I think real Hip Hop has peaked and is going back underground real hip hop is still out there. All the artists that are still signed or that are getting signed are having to compromise their music to gain a more mainstream audience. That’s just my opinion…

Would you like to see yourself in the top ten?


It doesn’t interest me, if I had a song that sold a lot of units and it made it into the charts I would welcome the sales and the exposure but it’s not the reason I make music.

What is your opinion on the current UK music scene?


It’s still developing I like what’s going on the independent side of things.

What’s next for you as an artist?



I’ve got an EP coming out, and then I’m working on my next full length album.

Before you go please tell us how we can get your music and how people can get in touch with you.


http://www.wolftownrecordings.net/
www.myspace.com/latewolftown
www.facebook.com/latewolftown
www.reverbnation.com/latewolftown
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/uk-rapscallion/id366968938

No comments:

Post a Comment